Search

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

20100609 - REVIEW: Logitech G35 Gaming Headset

I recently picked up the Logitech G19 keyboard, and G9x mouse, so I figured I would pick up the next piece in Logitech's new G gaming line, the G35 Gaming Headset.

I had been using the Creative Fatality headset before, and really had no problems with it what so ever.  I really only bought this to match the rest of the set, and it had some pretty big shoes to fill.


Here is how the unit arrived:

Here it is unboxed:

Close up of the side:


APPEARANCE / FEEL: 9/10

The headset is solid and heavy feeling, maybe a bit too heavy.  I enjoy my electronics being heavy, It makes my feel like they are well made for some reason.  My girlfriend put them on and she said they felt like they were squishing her head.  Guess it comes down to personal preference.  The sides are adjustable via a "click" system, but don't expect them to stay where you set it after you set the unit down.  

As you can see in picture 2 the headset came with 3 different sized velcro pads for the headband.  Definitely a plus for finding that perfect comfort level.

After wearing the headset for about 4 hours straight last night (with beer breaks of course) my ears felt great.  This was never an issue with the Creative Fatality either, but with lesser headsets my ears would have been aching. 

SOUND QUALITY: 8/10

I put the headset to the test last night with a World of Warcraft ICC25 raid.  I normally keep my game sounds out of my speakers and just use my headset for Ventrilo.  Last night I set my game sound channels to max and put it through the headset along with Ventrilo.  The difference between the Creative and Logitech was night and day.  With the Creative Fatality I always felt like Ventrilo would simply override my game sound, which was OK because usually I needed to hear what my fellow raiders were saying.  The G35 and it's surround sound made a clear distinction between voices and game sounds, perfectly blending the two so that neither sounded overpowering.

Voices came through perfectly clear.  My annoying raid leader's voice never sounded better.  I tried using Skype, and after configuring the mic and volume a bit everything sounded great.

The G35 has 7.1 "Surround Sound" yet it only has one speaker in each ear.  The "Surround Sound" is apparently accomplished by throwing the noises around the ear cuffs to mimic a true surround sound setup.  The result, to me, was hit and miss.  In World of Warcraft I could stand in front of a fire and spin around and it sounded very accurate as the rawr of the fire seemed to spin around my head.  I also gave Call of Duty Modern Warfare a go and again the surround sound was excellent.  On the other hand I tried a few DVD movies and the "surround sound" was almost non existent.  I am anxious to try some blu rays. 

Balance wise the G35 comes with a very easy to use software app that lets you adjust basic volume bass treble functions.  It worked for me and after a few adjustments games sounded as good as I have ever heard them through my speakers.  Bass was a little low, but then again I think I like more bass than the average user.

FEATURES - 8/10

I had a hard time rating the features on this headset.  On one hand some didn't seem to fulfill what I wanted, but on the other hand you can't find some of these things on any other headset out there.  
There are 3 things I want to point out.

The first is the noise canceling microphone.  This is great.  On Skype I am told that my normally loud TV in the background was completely blocked out while talking.  Perfect for watching a movie and talking on Skype at the same time.  

The second great feature of this microphone is that fact that you can lift it straight up and it auto mutes.  This is great for those of us that have to fumble to find the "mute" button often.

The last feature is the buttons on the side of the headset.  There is a row of 3 customizable buttons, one dedicated mute button, and a volume roller.  Now when this headset launched I couldn't imagine what you would use these customizable buttons for.  Now that I own the headset I still can't figure it out.  I suppose if you really used the profiles provided by the software you could switch with those buttons, but besides that I am at a loss.  I have them set to turn the bass up and down.  I don't think I touched them once all night.  The dedicated mute button is nice, but I prefer just lifting the mic up instead.  The volume roller feels great, but for me it was easier just to use the roller on the G19 keyboard.  The buttons were a decent idea, but right now I can't see them being that useful.  

OVERALL - 9/10

Overall I love this headset.  The price is pretty intimidating, but if you can find a good deal I highly recommend picking these up.  I can't comment on durability yet, but everything I have owned from Logitech was built to last, I highly doubt these will be an exception.   

PROS:
Great sound
Very customizable fit
Customizable profiles and buttons allow for great software customization
Solid build quality

CONS:
Pricey 
A bit on the heavy side
"Surround Sound" isn't ideal for DVDs (might be more of a software issue, I plan on investigating more)
Customizable buttons seem rather useless (to me at least)





Thanks for reading my first review.  I apologize for the crappy quality of the pictures, I am trying to make this T mobile HD2 camera work, but it has consistently disappointed me.

1 comment:

  1. i realize this is a little late... but the sound problem with dvds is almost certainly a software problem. with the right codecs (like the klite pack) and a properly configured player (wmp shouldnt require anything, vlc needs to have its "audio device" changed from "stereo" to one of the multichannel devices) you should hear surround from 5.1 (and better) tracks on dvds. ive listened to several and been quite impressed.

    ReplyDelete